Two US-flagged commercial vessels have successfully transited the Strait of Hormuz as part of a new American-led operation to restore shipping routes, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) has said, despite reports of an Iranian missile attack on a US ship and rising tensions following the collapse of peace talks.
The CENTCOM said on Monday that two commercial vessels sailing under the American flag had crossed the Strait of Hormuz as part of Operation “Project Freedom,” aimed at reopening the waterway to commercial traffic.
“US military forces are actively supporting efforts to restore commercial shipping. As a first step [in Operation Project Freedom], two US-flagged commercial vessels successfully transited the Strait of Hormuz and are continuing their voyage safely,” the command wrote on social media platform X.
However, earlier on Monday, Iranian military forces reportedly attacked a US vessel that attempted to pass through the strait after ignoring warnings. According to the Fars news agency, two Iranian missiles struck the target, causing the US ship to halt its progress along the route and forcing it to turn back.
Tensions have remained high since February 28, when the US and Israel began conducting strikes against targets inside Iran, killing more than 3,000 people. Washington and Tehran announced a two-week ceasefire on April 8. Subsequent talks held in Islamabad ended inconclusively, though no resumption of combat operations has been reported. In the meantime, the United States has imposed a blockade on Iranian ports.