Tuesday, April 23, 2024
HomeWorldMiddle EastWHO calls for a humanitarian corridor to Gaza

WHO calls for a humanitarian corridor to Gaza

The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Tuesday demanded the establishment of a humanitarian corridor to the Gaza Strip as Israel imposed a full blockade regime with the region.

A WHO spokesman said there had been 13 attacks on health facilities in Gaza since the weekend and its medical supplies stored there had already been used up.

The UN Office for Human Rights reported that about 200,000 people had left their homes in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of hostilities. UN representatives also noted that due to the Israeli blockade, Gaza residents would face a shortage of water and electricity. Jens Laerke, OCHA spokesperson, told a Geneva briefing, saying further displacement was expected:

Displacement has escalated dramatically across the Gaza Strip, reaching more than 187,500 people since Saturday. Most are taking shelter in schools.

The Israeli army is launching rocket attacks on residential buildings, schools and UN buildings across Gaza, causing huge civilian casualties, the UN human rights chief said on Tuesday, citing information gathered by his office. Volker Turk said in a statement:

International humanitarian law is clear: the obligation to take constant care to spare the civilian population and civilian objects remains applicable throughout the attacks.

In response to Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant’s statement on tightening the blockade of the Gaza Strip, Turk said that “sieges” that endanger civilian lives are forbidden under international law.

Jens Laerke, OCHA spokesperson, told a Geneva briefing, saying further displacement was expected as clashes continue:

Displacement has escalated dramatically across the Gaza strip, reaching more than 187,500 people since Saturday. Most are taking shelter in schools.

Hamas launched the Tawafan al-Aqsa operation on Saturday, firing thousands of rockets into Israel from the Gaza Strip. In response, the Israeli army launched Operation Iron Swords and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called on Palestinians to evacuate Gaza, threatening to destroy Hamas and wipe off the map Gaza.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular